Do you know what is considered the highest civilian award in the United States? It’s the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Sitting presidents give this medal to people they believe “have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.” On November 16th, President Trump awarded seven people with this honor. Who are these individuals?
1) Miriam Adelson is a doctor who helped people fight addiction. She’s also a major donor to the Republican Party.
2) Orrin Hatch is a Republican senator who has represented the state of Utah for more than forty-one years.
3) Alan Page was a professional football player who also practiced law during the off-season. He later won a seat on the Minnesota Supreme Court and served for over twenty years.
4) Elvis Presley was an American pop icon and actor.
5) George Herman “Babe” Ruth, Jr. was a record-setting professional baseball player.
6) Antonin Scalia served as a US Supreme Court Justice for nearly thirty years.
7) Roger Staubach was a professional football player who broke many records. After he retired from football, he became a successful businessman and supported many charities that helped veterans and their families.
Interesting fact: Presidents can give as many or as few Medals of Freedom as they wish. Former President Barack Obama gave out 123 Medals of Freedom, the most of any president. Who gave out the second most? Former President Ronald Reagan.